1966 109 rims

Started by Cruzer, April 07, 2016, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzer

Is there a chart/reference guide of other models that I can take rims off to fit my 109 ?

Red90

The bolt pattern is only used by Land Rover.  All Land Rover models Series 1 to Defender, Discovery 1 and Range Rover Classic are the same.  5 on 6.5". Some of the later alloys from 1994 on can interfere with the drive flanges and need spacers or mods to fit.

Matt H

Note that alloy wheels may also require longer studs.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

camo388

From my research, the rim you need for a 109 is part number 272309 which is a 5.5 wide by 16" with a 1 and 13/16" or 46mm offset.  This is best suited for a 7.50 x 16  or (metric equivalent) 235/85/R16 tire.  Some tire shops will fit a wider tire to these rims but you should really have a 6" rim.  As John says, you can use other LR model rims as bolt pattern is the same, but you may then need a spacer to give more offset and therefore a smaller turning circle.  If you find you need a longer wheel stud because of the spacer, the part number is FRC 7577.  These studs are 60mm long.

Bruce

Red90

The series wheels have the most offset so using Defender or Disco rims puts the tire out farther and does not reduce steering lock.

binch

The wolf rims and I think the 130 rims both use the longer studs (60mm) from the get go as they are heavy wall steel.    Those longer studs are almost $10 each now too!  FYI

And just for future reference.....  You can use defender, disco1 & RRC rims on a Series vehicle BUT you can't use the series rim on the front disc brake defenders as they interfere with the brake calipers I think :o
Cheers, Bill

Cruzer

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 07, 2016, 11:27 PM
The wolf rims and I think the 130 rims both use the longer studs (60mm) from the get go as they are heavy wall steel.    Those longer studs are almost $10 each now too!  FYI

A little off topic.  Not sure for a Series, but on a Defender longer studs are not required for Wolf wheels.  The stock ones are perfectly fine.  If you do want longer studs, here is a possible lower cost source:  http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_Studs_16X1_5_p/st25.htm

headdamage

Also 130 steels do not require longer studs, they are the same as regular defender steels.

binch

Quote from: headdamage on April 08, 2016, 09:36 AM
Also 130 steels do not require longer studs, they are the same as regular defender steels.

The standard length stud is not covered completely by the wheel nut on a wolf rim.   If you go for a safety or any inspection they will fail you on it and insurance is void, if there is an associated problem.  ;)   That's what my mechanic has told me when I had an insurance inspection.   Hence the longer studs.    Not sure about the 130's as that was an issue Rob Mills ran into in SE BC with his rims.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 08, 2016, 12:41 PM
The standard length stud is not covered completely by the wheel nut on a wolf rim.   If you go for a safety or any inspection they will fail you on it and insurance is void, if there is an associated problem.  ;)   That's what my mechanic has told me when I had an insurance inspection.   Hence the longer studs.    Not sure about the 130's as that was an issue Rob Mills ran into in SE BC with his rims.

I've never had an issue with inspectors.  Never use fussy mechanics for an inspection... The nuts are very wide and have much more thread than is needed to be stronger than the stud.

At $10 a stud, I would instead buy closed end nuts and then the mechanic can't complain...  http://www.wrington.co.uk/land%20rover%20steel%20wheel%20nuts.html

Matt H

Bill is correct. Full thread engagement, ideally with three or more threads showing is the rule. It's a generic rule that covers all makes, models and years of vehicles.

Even though I'm just a lowly mechanic and in no way qualified to comment on the lofty and complex world of nuts and bolts I'm sure John is correct. They are plenty strong. However, it's not mechanics who make these rules (we are far too dull witted for that apparently) it's beaver stamping engineers. We are just supposed to follow them. As are the OEM.  So don't shoot the messenger.

You can get away with it in notoriously lax places like Alberta but that doesn't mean you can have the same result in other areas where the rules are adhered to much more strictly.

My 2c.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Cheers, Bill