1985 Defender 110

Started by Scott in Canmore, June 08, 2018, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott in Canmore

Hi all,

I inherited a 1985 Defender 110.  I'm brand new to rovers and am learning as I go.  To try to get the truck past the safety I need new tires.  I bought a set of Michelin Xradial LT2 265/75R16 tires to put on the existing rims.  My rims are riveted and so they require tubes.

The tire shop guy says these tires won't fit my rims. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Thanks,

Scott

Red90

You can see my response in the other thread.  The stock rims are 5.5" wide.  The approved rim width for those tire will be higher, probably 7 to 8".  They will work, but most tire shops would not install them.  You are better off with 235/85R16 for the narrow rims, especially if you are buying street tires.

Scott in Canmore

Forgive my ignorance, but where do you find the "proper" tires for land rovers?  I can't seem to find them on Michelin's website.

SpeedyJ

Just mount up the wheels with the 235/85r16 of your choice without tubes. If you want 7.50R16 check these out - http://alre.club/Forum/index.php?topic=1328.msg8729#msg8729 . If you're concerned about using tube wheels set up tubeless you can pick up Discovery 1 and 2 wheels fairly cheaply used.

The Michelins look cool but have lots of drawbacks - heavy, expensive, even new ones are often old stock, not great in the wet, not great on ice, etc....

Red90

Disco 1 and 2 alloy wheels are not a direct fit so that is not a good solution. 

As above any 235/85R16 will be good. It is a very common size.

The Duratracs are a nice choice because they are winter rated.

SpeedyJ

My bad. Is the Disco wheel compatibility a 110 vs Defender thing, or something else?

I'm a fan of the Duratrac, they preform well in my experience, but I have had troubles getting them to run smoothly, it's not quite a vibration, more like an oscillation.  This is true of two sets that I've had on two different trucks.

Red90

Quote from: SpeedyJ on June 08, 2018, 04:03 PM
My bad. Is the Disco wheel compatibility a 110 vs Defender thing, or something else?

I'm a fan of the Duratrac, they preform well in my experience, but I have had troubles getting them to run smoothly, it's not quite a vibration, more like an oscillation.  This is true of two sets that I've had on two different trucks.

The Disco 1 is the same bolt pattern and their steel wheels will fit.  The alloys hit the drive flange bolts and the drive flanges stick through the center caps on the early style axles (1993 and earlier).  Disco 2 is a different bolt pattern.

You are the first person I've heard have that problem with the Duratracs.