'04 Disco 2 Engine Swap....looking for ideas and options

Started by Trevor, June 20, 2017, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on June 20, 2017, 06:43 PM
I had my 4.0 rebuilt at 300k km. It was a slip cylinder liner. The boiling coolant was a clear sign that it failed.
The performance after 25000km is still solid and to spec as per original engine. I do have the new Turner liners in it to prevent slipping. The workmanship was as solid if not better than an overseas outfit. I know of another Disco that has a Turner engine in it as well. The advantage of the local shop was identifying the extra items that would fail if not treated outside of the rebuilt itself. Cost wise it was no different.

Great info Emad, thanks!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

And Bert was looking for someone to do a remap of the engine with  ;)

David Menard has the top hat rebuild as well.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Trailhead 4x4 out of Cleveland is a name that's popped up a few times. Supposedly they are doing LS 5.3 swaps into D2's with the end result being a fully functioning D2 platform with no idiot light issues.

No idea whether this is true or not, or any details at all for that matter. I'm going to give them a call next week and see what I can find out. Certainly sounds interesting.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

That would be a nice set up if they have it all figured out.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Great link John, I had not visited their Facebook pace.

They appear to be onto something. Looking forward to chatting with them.
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

I finally was able to link up with these guys and get some info.

The LS conversion is typically done via a rebuilt engine. Basically what they are doing is running the L33 (as an example) off the D2 computer as is. They do not reprogram anything, they just make some tweaks to the engine. Accordingly they typically use a rebuilt version III or IV motor as they are replacing the cam with their own specially built unit. You can use a new crate motor if you like but it's largely a waste because you cannot capitalize on any of the the newer IV functions simply because the D2 computer doesn't have that capability. 

The "new" parts are predominantly mounting brackets and fitment items, or nothing that moves/spins/etc other than a single pulley and of course the special cam. Many engine control D2 parts are maintained such as the alternator and injection system. They actually do provide a list of what is old LR, what is new Chevy, and what is fabricated.

Cost is in the $12,500.00 ballpark which includes removing the old engine and installing the new, assuming you want a completely rebuilt L33 as a reference point. They will do the old cast iron blocks or the new aluminum ones, whatever you prefer.

They are going to be down in Moab mid-September with their local club and one of their converted trucks, so I might take a run down for a week and check it out.
― George Orwell, 1984

Jakedan

I'm nearly done my LM7 swap.  Been working on it for a while now. 

I'm using a LM7, C5 corvette bellhousong, flywheel and pressure plate, an adaptor that goes between the bell housing and an R380 which simply bolts up to the LT230. I'm running electric fans on an aluminum shroud which are controlled by the LS ECU. I have all my parts on file so I can recreate them if any one is interested in a kit.  I'm sorting out engine mounts and accessories right now. So far all I have to relocate is the power steering pump.  I will have ABS, Traction Control, HDC functioning when I'm done too. Iv been thinking about a build thread for a while now and i'll probably put one together when the truck is done.

You can Email me for pictures or if you have questions.

Trevor

That sounds like a very interesting project and along similar lines to what I'm contemplating. I do want to maintain the automatic mind you, but other than that, lots of similarities. If you have the time, a built thread would be great to see! And I may indeed ping you for some details down the road.
― George Orwell, 1984

Jakedan

i did too, I didnt want to use the ZF auto box because there simply isnt enough aftermarket support if i needed to improve it, and the controller for it was costly to begin with. the 4L80E would add a lot of length the the drive line and it would require a massaged floor pan or a low sitting drive line, youd also have the modify your drive shafts, transmission mounts, buy an adapter from Australia (not too much of an issue), and add a Vehicle Speed Sensor for the LS harness to shift the transmission, you may also need a 1" body lift if you want the factory cross members. So i figured if i spent the money on an r380, and went over it and went this route it would be the cleanest method in regards to drive line placement. Its also the quickest method for me to finish the project. I know of a couple LS swapped discos that went the GM automatic route and i wanted that but i wanted clean and simple more.

this way i used factory mounts for the transmission and transfer case. it helped with the alignment of the engine for building the front engine mounts and drive shaft angles.

the auto box would be nice for off-roading and daily driving and the aftermarket for them is very abundant which is very very appealing

i have a temperature sensor in the manual transmission so i can monitor for an alignment issue with my adapter, the R380 bolt patern is built off center which was a bit annoying and took a couple templates to sort out but im certain the measurements are sorted out. This is the easiest swap iv been apart of, so far you can use all factory LS parts to make it work. the exhaust Y pipe will obviously be custom and same with the engine mounts but those are the biggest hurdles of the project thus far so IMO its very straight forward.

LS advantages:
-70% HP increase, 30% torque increase (those are rough numbers but not a guess either).
-fuel economy increase   
-RELIABILITY ;D ;D ;D which is the main reason im doing the conversion.
-on the shelf parts availability in nearly every small town
-used engines are $500-$8,500 depending on how swanky you want to get.

LS Disadvantages:
-labour and thinking cap required which isnt that bad. still in for less money than replacing a ruined 4.0L v8

I'm currently looking for a LS "car" intake manifold if any one knows of one. LS1 from a camaro or trans-am.

Red90

A 6L80E is a better choice.  Works well with the engine.  Adapters are well designed for it.  There are no space or clearance issues (the 4L80E has clearance issues).  Using the R380 or ZF boxes and you would need to be very careful with your right foot.

Matt H

Did you ever take Norman's D2 for spin Trevor? Boy that old girl can pick up her skirt and move! An almost endless torque curve.

If the big reason for a swap is reliability, what are your thoughts on TD5 swap? The last real Land Rover engine and designed especially with the D2 in mind. They are a proven reliable engine. It can be 100% factory parts swap.
As I'm sure you are aware, Larger inter coolers and performance fuel mapping etc can boost power and torque significantly while keeping it all in the realms of durability.
They are also becoming more and more available thanks to epic rust issues taking out the rear chassis on otherwise good vehicles. A great many were also automatics.  I noticed when we were over in the UK last month lots of cheap MOT failed D2's for sale. And when I say cheap, I mean 500 quid cheap!
For the parts cost, labour and ball ache of a custom swap I wonder if a guy could ship a complete TD5 Disco and swap the oily bits and various wiring harnesses and ecu's then call it good?

I fully expect this swap to replace the 200/300tdi swaps of the past as those engines are beginning to dry up and the TD5's are everywhere.

Just a thought.

Trevor

Pretty good idea Matt. I had pondered the TD5's briefly, but did not delve into in any detail as I had my mind set on a gasser. However you make some pretty good points regarding the TD5's. I thought the ECU's swap was a real problem with those though, that was part of the reason I didn't delve to deeply into it. Might be worth another more detailed look though.

I've seen Johnathan in his quite a lot, and it does indeed get-up and move. A performance rebuild is an option, and if I went that way I'd likely just do it here....it is just an old Oldsmobile engine after all. That path is still very much alive on my list.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

So far as I'm aware the only ECU issues I've heard of is when intergrating a Td5 engine to a non D2 or pre Td5 Defender? If you shipped the entire vehicle you could use the donors engine (obviously), transmission, ecu's, wiring harness, sensors, dash cluster etc so as far as the power train is aware nothing is different? Also fuel and emissions piping/components, ancillaries and Disco2/Td5 specific bracketry and trim could all be used.

A huge benefit to having the entire donor vehicle is being able to do side by side comparisons and seeing just how the factory installed the various components and how they should be fitted to the project vehicle. I learned that lesson when doing factory options & engine swaps on classic cars & trucks. All kinds of fasteners, clips and brackets can be harvested taking advantage of the factory engineering.

All of this is obviously more involved than a straight performance rebuild of the original engine or even a 4.6L Rover V8. But it would be easier than a full custom swap and you would be able to use the factory manuals and ordering parts would be straight forward.