June Trip to Rocky Area

Started by Already a Rover, February 28, 2016, 04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Trevor

bah, I've been thwarted for this coming weekend and won't be heading out. Life too often gets in the way of fun!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Already a Rover

That`s too bad Trevor.  If the weather is good between the 15th and 20th, the Green Drakes will be hatching, and they hatch ALL day.

My buddy out in Caroline caught a 22 incher under the bridge on 761 Monday night....

But no pic, I`ll have a few though.

Jim

5spd

jim, et al,

if you are still hosting, my two little kids and i will come down.  we camp well and fish poorly.  as the rover is still minus brakes, the trip will be in the toyota.  the weather isn't looking good, so we are packing for being wet, but if it's dramatically bad we might depart early.

we'd be arriving friday night.  i'll ping you via email to confirm directions etc.

Chris

Already a Rover

Well, the weather certainly turned bad.  And just in time to thwart The Hatch!  The cold weather and lower water temperatures will keep them down for awhile. 

Luckily, many and some good fish were had regardless!  I can't find my computer cable, but will post a few pics.

Oh - here we go!

Already a Rover

Wow, attached a bunch but only got one.  Anyway, that is the  upper range of the normal size of fish you get down there.  He was just a shade under 5 pounds, but the only fish of the night.  My buddy Dan caught one even bigger one though; he had gone back to the truck and this monster was feeding just below the bridge on the very first Brown Drakes which were hatching.   Nearly broke his rod, as he was bent-over the bridge trying to play the fish, which was in very short-order about 40 yards upstream. 

Trevor - et al, I will wait for reports on whether the Brown Drakes hold-off hatching until the weekend and if they do, I'll be there.  After that is the Green Drake hatch on the same creek, which is VERY worthwhile. 

B-Red

This is a very nice size fish. Good catch. Are you fly fishing or doing cast and reel?
I am tempted now.

Already a Rover

I caught that one on a nymph, but on Sunday night in a light rain I got three on a Panther Martin.

The weather does not look that great for the weekend, but I'm pretty sure we are going to drive up there for a look.  Cooler weather could be just perfect. 

Already a Rover

Hi.  Well, we went up there and the Green Drakes were around, but we saw only a few hatching and/or laying eggs, so the fish were not feeding. 

I was training the GF so didn't fish much myself and we got skunked. 

The Drake hatch is called the Duffers' Fortnight in the UK - because it is the easiest time to catch fish.  On Stauffer, it is not so easy at the best of times, but that will be it for the good fishing there for the year, except for maybe hoppers in August.

A few of us are planning a week long trip, possibly around July 1st.  As anyone knows who fishes around that area knows, there are lots of other places to fish, especially with a 4wd.  I'll keep you posted. 

Attached is a pic from the same night as the one above.  The stream is about 15ft wide at that point (but they don't seem to care).

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Already a Rover

I'll be out again this wknd.  If anyone is in the area, I'll be checking emails in between chores, swimming and fishing.

J