June Trip to Rocky Area

Started by Already a Rover, February 28, 2016, 04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Already a Rover

Hello - as requested, this is a place for discussion of the event above.

I am hosting at my parent's place, which is 15 or so miles South of Rocky Mountain House, or coming from the other direction, 3 or 4 miles on the gravel road going West from the Cow Lake Store.  I'll post a link to the spot.

Others who have expressed an interest are interested in fishing and 4-wheeling.  I can suggest lots of fishing spots, someone-else can lead the off-roaders.

There is no power or water at this place, but lots of room to park 6 or 8 RV's, a central campfire spot and an outhouse.  Dogs and kids are welcome.  There are no other houses within 1/2 mile, lots of trees, trails and a good view to the East.  I'll attach a few pics taken there.

Any questions, post them here, or PM me.

Jim

B-Red

Am planning on coming out. Which day is it in June?

binch

Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Hi - I'm proposing the weekend of June 11th.

You can see there is a covered area and picnic tables next to the firepit.  Luxury!

Good to hear there are some takers. 

I'll try and make the March trip, so can show the place then too.  Or camp if you like.

Trevor

I am very interested in this trip as well
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Already a Rover

Hi.  The camping spot is near the intersection of Twp Rd 390 and RR 84a.  PM me for exact details - I posted them earlier, but Bill noted this was in the public domain....

Jim

B-Red

Do is this trip still going ahead for June 11?

Already a Rover

Hi - Okay, let's try this again for June 9th, 2017.  Details above. 

If  the weather is good and anyone wants to come out in April or May, I might be there.  Otherwise, I can give you directions, you can hop the fence to have a look. 

If you do not know of Stauffer Creek/the North Raven River, you should look it up.  The average size fish there had been dropping, but is still about 19" in the lower sections.  Here are a few pics.

Red90

Johno753

I'll up for camping and fishing. Have to break out the fly tying kit.

Already a Rover

Okay, so the date is crowded - crap.  I'm not sure what to do as Biology has set the date.  If there are people out there who would like to come on that weekend but really want to do the British Meet, post on here.  If you will be coming anyway, let's hear from you too (thanks John).  I was thinking another 2-5 vehicles is lots, which shouldn't diminish the showing at the British Field Meet too much. 

For those who wish, we could plan another another time as well!  Two weeks later is the other big hatch on Stauffer, and there may be Stonies coming up elsewhere about that time too.  My preference is to watch the weather and plan around that - not necessarily weekends either.   

I'm open to other times, but will be out for that weekend anyway - weather-permitting of course.  Stauffer is spring-fed, so does not mud-up as quickly or for as long as most Eastern Slope streams.   

Spin fishermen welcome as well - I use both, and am better at spinning than on the fly.

Already a Rover

Oh, and as posted elsewhere, sorry for dropping the ball last year.  Major trauma rebuilding the engine on the Rover and I was too embarassed to even poke my head up and say "Sorry." 

Growler is running great now, let's go fishin'! 

Jim

Trevor

I forgot about the British Field meet as well. I should plan to attend that as I missed the last couple years.

One other option is to just pick a weekend in July/Aug (perhaps as part of the trip planning meeting), and have a camping/fishing/wheeling weekend at that time instead. The great thing about the location of your property is that there are  A LOT of options in the general area for things to do in a Land Rover. North Ram is but one option.

My two bits anywhoo.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Already a Rover

Thanks Trevor.   

My work does not revolve around weekends like most folks.  For now, I'll leave it the weekend of the 9th of June and another date can be TBA.  Depending on the weather, I should be there the 6th or 7th.

Come Spring, I can post on here when I'm heading-out for my 3/4-day trips, and others can pop out for a day or so.   Depending upon when the ice is out on Stauffer, I am usually out there early to mid-April. 

Already a Rover

Another one from last year.

Average size, above average colour though!