Galvanizing frame?

Started by Jacobko, June 20, 2018, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobko

I met one of club members at a gas station in BC. They were doing a parts run to Drake's in Kelowna. How often do some people here do parts runs? I'm looking to get my frame galvanized, but I'm in a really awkward location (Nelson BC). How much would I have to pay a club member to swing by and pick up my frame for galvanizing then drop it back off (don't have a truck or trailer of my own)? If possible...

Rambler

Not wanting to stamp upon your ideas, but galvanizing a used frame is not a good idea.  The original paint in the inside of the frame is not removed when the frame is acid dipped prior to hot dip galvanizing.  Hence the galv, does not coat the inside of the frame well.  So your frame rusts from the inside out, no less fast than it not having been galvanised.  Most frame rust is that which is not seen.  Take a look at lrtv channel on you tube and he'll show you, likewise brit. Restoration on  you tube, will give you some ideas, 

Better to sand blast your frame, paint it and then spray
fill interior with some liquid rust proofing, like dinitrol.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

mike.heathcote

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm totally gonna... 

Does anybody know anything more about Drake's?  Are there Series 2 parts? 
I'm headed to Penticton in a month, so will be passing by (one way or another)  ;)

Thanks, 

Mike 

binch

We've purchased MG fenders from Drakes in Kelowna (on the hill SW of town).   They don't have much in used stuff anymore and they deal a lot in new bits though.   Seem like nice folks through.    Didn't think they dealt with LR stuff... ???

As for the Galvanized frame....nothing wrong with galvanizing a frame.   As you say it may not removed all the paint inside (what paint there is) but you can flood in rust proofing on a galvanized frame after the fact as well.   There's a good recipe for homemade waxoil out there and a good dose of that inside the galvanized chassis and you should be good to go.   But nothing lasts like a galvanized chassis and the final product for the cost is as cheap as painting.   But you won't have to regalvanize in 5 to 10 years hahahhahahha

But keep up the good info guys!!!

But we have also found that if you post the notices on the BC rover landers and the ALRE forums there's generally people able to move parts for you....but something as large as a chassis....that could be tough.
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

Nelson BC does seem a bit difficult. Have you spoke to Mr. Troy in nearby Castlegar? It appears like you may need to haul to Calgary for nearest galvanizing.

Sending that regular freight might be expensive, would likely be cheapest to trailer with a pickup. Good luck.