how many kms/miles does the timing belt/chain need to be replaced

Started by bassguy, January 25, 2017, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: ugly_90 on January 26, 2017, 06:53 AM

Putting everything in perspective, there aren't many 1991 Ford or GM trucks still on the road now either, diesel or otherwise. Time eventually reclaims all equipment..

That got me reminiscing a bit, thinking of how things were, and how they are now.

When I bought my first car at 16 (well, I was still 15 actually, but I wanted it for minute 1 after turning 16), it was a 15 year old POS Datsun 1200. But it was mine, super cool, and the chicks dug it (er, well, at least so I thought ;->). Every vehicle I bought following that until I reached my mid-30's was probably equally as old, although the quality increased markedly with some (my 70' Grand Prix was one of my pride and joys). Point being, it was easy yo buy good quality cars that were 1.5 to 2 decades old....heck, it was the norm.

Now, as you rightly note, that's not an easy task, largely because things are built to basically dissolve in a strong wind after 5 years..

30 years of money printing central banks will do amazing things to economies, manufacturing, and most importantly in this case, long term valuations of things.

Sorry, didn't mean to steel the thread, just had to ponder aloud for a second.

We now return to your previously scheduled thread...
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

Bruce is right, the drivetrain rebuild is affordable for these, and all of the parts and labour for a quality budget drivetrain rebuild has now been sourced.

It seems to do it well, you're looking at $5k for an engine rebuild, $2K for shipping, parts and labour on rebuilding that old army gearbox/tcase. $200 for rebuild of front and rear propshaft. $1.2k for tires, another $500 for brakes and suspension? $500 on refinishing or swapping the steel wheels, which are likely rusted inside if tubed. $1000 will easily be spent on something you didn't expect.  I would say that in summary, is a best-case estimate. That brings me to $10,400, and labour was only included for drivetrain and propshafts here.

Point is, as many farmers will tell you, there's often little point in putting good money into bad equipment.

A similarly priced foreign LR may cost you less in the short run, particularly if it has a good history. The $5k import shipping bill can  be easily forgiven if the state of the vehicle covers off for it.

I have bought two exmod 110's in Alberta for $3K each, through some fandangling, and one 90 RHD for $6k, I even got an assist to a Spruce Grove fellow for another $3K Landrover 110. $12K wouldn't be a starting point for me for an as-is buy. More like sub $5k

ugly_90

Bassguy,

My "professional service fee" invoice for 5% of the $24K I just saved you is in the mail. Not to mention the required divorce lawyer and mechanic that an expensive landrover choice would have made. Hehe.

I am a camel trader, by trade. Hehe.

binch

Has Ken sold his 110 with the 200tdi out in Saskatoon yet?    Put your money in that direction......much better bang for the buck! 

And that Avro Green is a colour to be cautious around.   The 2.5 n/a at it's best is only rated for about 65 hp, and will pull 100km/h  easily on the flats, as john had said.   But take it to some hills and see if it will do them in 4th or if you have to go down to 3rd.   If that engine is tired.....starting saving your pennies and look for a 200 or early 300tdi.   Spend a little bit more up front and you save a LOT further down the road.

But you 12k for an exmod is top dollar.   It better be in great shape!
Cheers, Bill

bassguy

wow, where do i start..thanks so much to all in this forum...Ill drop by the sideliner one night...I great posts!!, bassguy

bassguy

great post by trevor, funny and informative by ugly90, well informed post by binch..thanks people!, bassguy

camo388

Quote from: bassguy on January 26, 2017, 11:06 PM
wow, where do i start..thanks so much to all in this forum...Ill drop by the sideliner one night...I great posts!!, bassguy

We meet at the Sideline, the first Wednesday of each month, generally between 6:30 and 9.   Look forward to seeing you there.

bassguy

thanks camo388, ill try and make it next week....just not sure if I will be home in time that day?..but I will check in if I am, ..bassguy