how many kms/miles does the timing belt/chain need to be replaced

Started by bassguy, January 25, 2017, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassguy

Hi everyone..im new here.. am considering buying a defender 90/ 2001 ex MOD with a 2.5 NA diesel(you can see it on craigslist seattle but its from kelowna?)..I have had many toyota bj's so familiar with diesel to an extent..I have met you Binch and even drove your red 90 years ago..what should I look for I guess(i know thats a huge question!..haha)?especially how often does the timing chain/belt need to be replaced and...do these trucks go 90/95 kms on the hi way?..thanks...bassguy

Red90

The official number is 100000 km or 5 years which is quite reasonable, IMO.  It is a belt and changing it is not a bad job.  If it does break, the world is not over.  The only damage is bent push rods.

If everything is in proper condition, with the gearing in a 90, top speed should be around 120 km/h at sea level.  If the road is flat and there is not a head wind, you can sit at 110 km/h.

bassguy

hey, thanks Red90!..this guy is asking around 12,000 for it and it does look like he has done some work to it(maintenance after he bought it)..bassguy

Red90

My general advice.  Drive it.  It should get up to 100 km/h.  The steering should be good, the brakes should be good.  Check carefully for rust all over the chassis, the bottom of the doors and all over the bulkhead.  Pull the oil filler cap while it is running and check for excessive combustion gases.

This ad?  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5971351777.html

bassguy

thanks again Red90!..ya, thats what I was planning..and yes, thats the truck, ..bassguy

headdamage

Looks like that motor might be a worn out, I see evidence of possible excessive blow by in the form of lots of oil leaking up top.

Red90

If you are in Edmonton, the monthly gathering is next week.  http://alre.club/Forum/index.php?topic=537.msg28#msg28  Can be helpful in getting more info and seeing some trucks in person.

bassguy

Quote from: headdamage on January 25, 2017, 01:15 PM
Looks like that motor might be a worn out, I see evidence of possible excessive blow by in the form of lots of oil leaking up top.
Hi headdamage!..thanks for the reply...yes, I looked at those pics and thought something might be up..Im just not too familiar with those diesel engines but common sense I guess would say that oil shouldnt be spewing out like that?..thank you, bassguy

Matt H

I don't think you are going to find a running, driving LHD 90 for much less. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

bassguy

Hi MattH, thanks....yes, I know what you are saying!..thanks for the reply, bassguy

ugly_90

This one has been for sale for about a year out of Kelowna at this price, I think. It was for sale on kijiji earlier. He's put a fresh coat of paint on it. I don't remember these going for $12k with the faded paint at crown assets when they were surplused though.

That green Abro drivetrain will need a rebuild in order to be reliable, the rubber seals and hoses thoughout the vehicle are suspect, it would be probable to have an additional $12k in parts costs alone on that one, unless you have a paid-for donor drivetrain ready.

I don't know what a 2002 or earlier exmod 90 LHD would cost you out of Germany through vebeg.de, or what a Withams unit would cost landed? More or less than the $12k? Particularly a later rebuilt landrover? Think globally, act locally. :)

ugly_90

I would add that the engines are quite survivable after failure, unlike many other makes. Having stripped seven 2.5 diesel exmod blocks apart, I can tell you that in every one, in addition to a myriad of wear on engine parts, the bores were either severely worn, and/or at least one liner had slipped. The green Abro engine will almost certainly have machined sleeves in it, likely installed by the contractor rebuild shop. Replacing slipped or worn liners is resolvable, but is a big job in time and materials.

Putting everything in perspective, there aren't many 1991 Ford or GM trucks still on the road now either, diesel or otherwise. Time eventually reclaims all equipment..

bassguy

thanks UGLY_90!..i really appreciate the feedback...I thought it was  for sale for a while and I think you just convinced me what to do..thanks!, bassguy

camo388

Not to scare you from buying this vehicle but something to consider when putting in an offer.  An engine rebuild at Extreme Engine Development in Calgary will give you little change from $5,000 and injector pump rebuild in UK is $1,000, (500 Pounds).  Not to say you will need to do either but knowing the cost before hand should be factored into your buying budget and reflected in your offering price.  Otherwise from the pictures, the vehicle looks decent.  If you go ahead with purchase, don't hesitate to put your requests for advice and parts on here as members are willing to share LR knowledge and usually have usable parts they would prefer someone use as they are too good just to throw away. 

bassguy

I really appreciate all the feedback/advice from everyone on here..thanks camo388!...,bassguy