Jacks, Hi-Lifts and Air Jacks

Started by B-Red, August 26, 2015, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I have to admit that I inflated and changed more tires on The AMT trip yhan what I did all my life. Great learning experience.

I own floor jack at home snd its really handy when you are on level solid grounds in the garage. The pump jacks that come with the vehicle also work great on stock cars. Do a lift and change to big tires, then you are looking at new jacks.

Hi-Lift has bern around for a while. I own two. Used it to uproute trees and old fence posts with a chain. Did not change a tire yet with it.

The Air bsg Jack is snother story. It uses exhaust air to fill the bag. Used it heavily on the trip. Worked well in different terrains and inclines. Its weak point I found was its rubbery plastic couplings. Ghey fail if over tightened. Other wise, a light load and reliable jack.

I talked to the 4x4 Wheel shop today. They carry a different brand than yhe one I have. I eould recommend that you check out this type of jack, espicially with Winter comming.

Trevor

I'm pretty sure that Xtreme jack also offers couplers that fit different exhaust pipe sizes. That would make it even easier for you to use. They sure are a handy unit, was very impressed with how well that worked for you on the trip.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Never used an air bag Jack before but have often wondered how robust they are?

Used high-lift jacks plenty. Just about the most versatile, inexpensive and dangerous unit you can get. I always take a big high-lift, some wood blocks, a square of heavy plywood and stock little red bottle Jack you used to get in your tool kit in the 1990's.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

I highlift or Jackall is far more versatile but as Matt said they are one of the most dangerous tools in our arsenal of off road tools.    They can accomplish some amazing tricks but they are very unforgiving when they fail.   The airbag that Emad brought on the AMT trail paid for itself after the third flat I think.   Incredibly fast,  able to lift the whole side of the vehicle up in a matter of seconds and hold it, on any uneven surface.   With no fear of the truck sliding off the jack!!!   But there`s always the niggling feeling that something could go wrong and the bag may split open dropping the truck with a vengeance.    That didn't happen with us fortunately but it does make me wonder.   

When the bag is deflated the exhaust fumes used to pump up the truck come out the 1.5`diameter hole under great pressure, so you don`t want you face anywhere near that.     On the trail.....it was a GREAT tool to have along.    Now...as a bear repellent tool I don`t think it`s nearly as good as a Jackall.  :-) 
Cheers, Bill