Military Tube Tires

Started by B-Red, August 05, 2015, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I am running tube tires on my Deffender. The tire size is LT235/85R16. Running them during the AMT trip proved to be quite a challenge. The side walls proved to be weak as I sustained two side wall cuts that deemed tires useless. The tubes are hard to find as well. Bill had two spares, that we used. Four flats on the trip forced the issue to take it to KalTire in Williams Lake. Unfortunately, the rims are riveted and won't accept tubeless tires either.

So, for future excursions out of town, a standard tubeless rims rated for the Defender is the wise choice.

ugly_90

It usually isn't the tire nowdays that is tube or tubeless, it's the rim.

The tubed rims use rivets to hold them together, the tubeless rims are usually cast alloy or welded.

The original Michelin tubes are unavailable here, I bought some Korean tubes I wasn't happy with due to long stem. Firestone tubes in 7.50 x 16 may be available here.

Several fellows in the UK had remarked that the Britpart tubes were good ones.

Tubes might have caused you grief on this trip, you did have quite older tires as well, if I recall. Tubes are easier to field repair than a pierced tire, and can be more forgiving on old tires on a slow landrover.

If I recall, your tires were non-military, old Hankook MT's, which I also have.

Red90

Quote from: ugly_90 on August 05, 2015, 02:49 PM
Tubes are easier to field repair than a pierced tire, and can be more forgiving on old tires on a slow landrover.

I'll disagree there.  Tubeless tires are much easier to field repair.

Tube tires are a massive PITA off road.  At low pressures, the tires move around and kill the tubes.  Modern tubes are crap.  Horrible things.  Tubeless is just so much better.

You can run tubeless on the riveted rims.  They don't leak.  If you are worried, you can seal the joints first.

B-Red

When I was at Kaltire they said that they can't use the rims because of the rivets. However, during the trip, the air pressure leaked at the valve hole not the rivets.

Field repairs on the tubeless tires involved tarred threads. Trevor and Bill can say more on this as they had good experience on it. Tube repairs were labour intensive. David was doing a great job taking them off the rim and refitting them.

I will be switching to new rims when back in town with new tubeless tires. Field repairs are critical. However, compatibility at the local repai shops on the road are critical as well.

Trevor

I second John's comments, and I said this on the trial as well. Tube tires are not a good option. More fail points, specialy when aired down. you also require a separate set of tools and repair kit to maintain them which just adds to the complexity of the stores the group carries.

I was able to seal up both Jeffrey's and Bills side ripped radials with my ARB kit (had to use another 10 ropes Jeffrey brought though as I chewed through the 40 in my kit on those repairs). But the tubeless are MUCH easier to deal with imo.

Tell Kal tire to get stuffedif they won't do the job. Go to Trail Tire in Sherwood Park and tell them I sent you. Brad or Steve will be happy to help you. They will put tubeless tires on your rims. They mounted BFG KM2's on my Defender and it has tubed rims. They work fantastic.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

I agree Trevor. I looked at the revits on the spare rim and they are air tight.

I am looking for two tires to match the remaining three left. Tubes would also be great. Picture below for the tire type. It's LT235/85R16. Hankooks.

binch

I just get mine tubes through the normal suppliers ;)
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

You'll likely find the fitting tubes as 7.50 x 16, and available from Britpart. I don't think anyone else has those old Hankook T24 tyres except me. You can send me an email if you're interested in my set of five.

Trevor

Honestly Emad you are better off looking for a decent set of used radial mud tires on Kijiji with at least 50% tread left on them. The size you're looking for might require a bit more hunting, but for the amount you use your Defender if you can find a set they will likely last you a long time.

Replacing tubes just doesn't make a lot of sense. And unless the supplier (any supplier, US based, Britpart, Bearmach, etc etc) will specify in writing otherwise, the tubes are all likely from China, and not of high quality. Chinese made stuff is fine for certain things, but tubes and tires are not one of the imo.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

I am in the process of setting Tigger with new rims and tires for off-roading with Dave. I am just trying to keep the life in my remaining three tires. Just to use them till a flat do us apart.

Matt H

It's been my experience that Kal-Tire don't know what they are talking about.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on August 26, 2015, 08:26 AM
It's been my experience that Kal-Tire don't know what they are talking about.

I second that. I have not had a lot of luck with that company either, in the few times I have dealt with them.
― George Orwell, 1984