Bigger tires .....maybe

Started by Bargrip, May 18, 2018, 01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

88Hillman

The tires currently on the 88" are a set of 285/75R16 Duratrac's like Matt.  I would have liked 255's as well but they aren't as common so options aren't as many.  I've run 235's and 12.5" tires on this truck and will offer these unscientific observations:

1. Wider tires seem less stable on the road.  They seemed to wander more.
2. Wider tires do offer more floatation.

Lot's of other factors influence the above.  I prefer the 235's on road and the wider tires off road.  In terms of floatation I would like to clarify that I'm not talking about being able to drive on top of mud/snow vs sinking in.  It's the degree of penetration as much as the ability to traverse the ground.  I used to believe that the only option was tall and skinny.  For moderately deep snow/mud with a solid bottom that works great.  There are other times where it's not ideal.  An example is driving across a slightly soggy grassy meadow.  Narrow tires with a smaller contact patch will dig in while wider tires at the extreme will hardly leave a mark.

I've been really happy with the balance of a 285 tire on the 88" and went so far as getting rid on my larger 'off road' set of tires and rims. Keep in mind that my limited wheeling experience has either been mostly in the foothills of the Rockies from muskeg to hard rock terrain.  In comparison, for the absurdly heavy LR3 I wouldn't consider a narrow (235) tire, even if they did fit. 

Cheers,
Kirk

Red90

Red90

And this is what happens when your tires are too small for the weight of your vehicle....  Everyone else drove up without issue.  Another trail we are no longer allowed to drive on  :'(

Red90

I was browsing through the pictures of that trip and found a photo of some proper flotation tires, with suitable chains.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Trevor

Hehe, yup, that's where flotation applies all right. Tires being larger than the vehicle they are on does indeed tend to add floatation.  Or the tundra buggies...3 lb of air in 60" tires :)

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Trevor

...here's how the pro's get through the mud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEliDcDrpLI

Tall, thin, and a ton of HP.  ;->
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Bargrip

Thanks for all the input guys,
So I have 235 bfg mud's was looking for a extra set of wider mud tires ...yes cheap!
So 285's  including used  wheels all mounted and balanced for under $900

Matt H

That's a pretty good deal!

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Not a bad price for a BFG at all, but those aren't BFG's.

I've not heard of that brand before. "Powerway M/T Wideway" or something to that effect from what I can read on the tire.
― George Orwell, 1984

Bargrip

Lol, sorry Trevor not trying to confuse anyone
I have a set of 235's bfg tires..
This extra new set ( not fitted yet) are Powerway and in 285...as I want to try bigger tires

This is the 90 on 235's.......

Trevor

ah, ok, that makes more sense then!
― George Orwell, 1984

Bargrip

Matt H

Your doing it all wrong!

As a Land Rover owner your garage is supposed to be so full of crap that you will never use or forgot you even have that it should be impossible to squeeze a car in there. Let alone enough space to stand back and take pictures. Have you no fear of dipleasing the Rover Gods?

What are you thinking man?

New tyres look good though. Fill the wheel arches nicely.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

;D

That was all I saw as well.  A huge, empty clean garage.  Man, do I need that badly.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on June 11, 2018, 01:58 PM
;D

That was all I saw as well.  A huge, empty clean garage.  Man, do I need that badly.

I'm still waiting for the echo to dye down ahahhahahhaha
Cheers, Bill