drag link

Started by TJay, June 17, 2018, 08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJay

Hi folks, trying to come up with a good way to strengthen the drag link on my D1 ( keep bending the durn things  ??? ) I've looked into heavy duty ones but have heard they are not that much stronger than stock for the $ a guy pays. So been thinkin' maybe someone has got some good ideas on how to add some strength to it.

Red90

Heavy duty ones are a lot stronger.  The stock ones are made from cheese. I've sleeved mine with pipe and they are not bendable.

The other option is guards. There are a few options.  For the rear link I like the ones that attach to the axle. Like these ones.

http://www.terrafirma4x4.com/mobile/categories.php?qsec=23&secname=Underbody%20Guards#/mobile/products.php?qsec=23&secname=Underbody%20Guards&catId=111&catname=Track%20Rod%20Guards

For the front a traditional skid guard works.

TJay

Thanks Red90 I like the sleeving idea will probably go that route. IIRC I had seen a couple of pics in one of the 4x4 magazines of a guys build where he had welded 1/2" angle iron to the leading edge. I should be able to straighten it ok it's only bent about 3/8". Guess I'll be looking for a piece of pipe today  ;) 

Matt H

Ideally you want to do both. Super strong steering rods are great but they all use stock ends that will break if you snag one of them on a rock or tree stump hard enough. Been there. Done that. I've even seen a knuckle bust from a hard hit to a strengthened rod.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.