Bead lock rims for Discovery 2

Started by B-Red, March 31, 2018, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on April 02, 2018, 07:55 PM
Tubes?  When will you guys learn your lesson?  Do you know how many beers I missed because Bill ran tubes on that trail!!!

Toyo Open Country M/T. They are the toughest radials.

I know several guys that run the Toyo's, and swear by them. Excellent tire.

hehe, and tubes are not allowed on the AMT this time!

Edit: One other thing worth mentioning if you are shopping for tires, don't ignore the weight of the tire especially if you aren't running upgraded axles. The pretzel sticks that are LR stock axles will not like big heavy tires. Now, "big and heavy" also usually comes with "tougher". That's why I do like the KM2's as a nice compromise. They are a nice balance of toughness and weight. Toyo's, Maxxis, etc are very tough, but they are heavier...

285/75R16's:

KM2 -- 60lbs
Toyo OCMT-- 67lbs

315/75R16's:

KM2 -- 67lbs
Toyo OCMT -- 81lbs
Maxxis Creepy Crawler (35x12.5-16) -- 78lbs

These are of course 33" and 35" tires, which are what I am looking at. As the sizes get smaller, the weight differential narrows. But as one can see, the Toyo's are a pretty heavy tire. I'm running 300m axles so it wouldn't be as big a concern, but if I were running stock I'd be hesitant to run them in place of the KM2's. But then again, if I were running stock axles I wouldn't be running 33" or 35" tires either. :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

pechanec

Yes, tubes are mostly good for floating down the river in hot summer afternoons. Not for tires😉

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

binch

Tubes work okay...just DON'T air them down below 25psi or the tire tends to spin on the rim, tearing the tubes.

Bead lockers.....I've heard they are not legal on the roads.....is that true?
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I came across this article when I was trying to figure out the chalk method that Matt mentioned.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-package-guide/tire-pressure-checker.aspx

The discussion here is very informative. I am coming to the realization ghat my tire blowout outside Sylvan lake may have been the result of the tire being inflated to 40 psi instead of going lower.

I am looking at new tires this year so I will be reviewing this information very closely. I learned a new thing today for sure. Thank you fellows. Cheers

pechanec

Binch, I have read the same thing about beadlocks. Luckily, we live in Alberta where we can do almost anything we want to our vehicles without official hassle! 😀

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk