Deffender Fuel pump on 200 TDI

Started by B-Red, May 15, 2015, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I took Tigger on a good long run this weekend. The pump worked well. I think the Additive was what was needed. I still didnot lubricate the cable.

Pioneer

which additive did you use or do you recommend?

KIDD67

Quote from: ugly_90 on May 25, 2015, 11:20 PM
Emad,

I had exactly the same thing happen leaving Drayton Valley minutes after filling with Husky Diesel Max in July of 2013.

High rev's, my 2.5NA was running like a turbodiesel. 120km/h without momentum up a slight hill in fifth was no problem. " MAN, this IS a good fuel "

At one point, going downhill, my overspeed chime went off, and I slowed it down onto HWY 16. Not quite reaching the Onoway exit, I stopped at a service station for some water.

The throttle always worked as I wanted.

I filled the oil a little, as the t-seal was leaking, checked the dipstick, started the engine, and wow! high RPM's!

I was frightened, as I was sure I was in runaway with an overfilled sump. I turned off the engine. then I realized I wasn't in runaway diesel, as it was easily turned off via fuel cutoff, and I didn't have a turbodiesel either.

At that point, I had it towed over to Malcom, late at night. We discussed it, and it was likely I had filled with gasoline. This was impossible, I thought, as I had filled at a diesel only pump, and as always, inspected the receipt after I paid to ensure diesel.

We took a sample of the fuel and tried a gasoline test. A sample wouldn't burn with a match in it, and didn't smell like gasoline either.  It was also dyed green, as commercial diesel is.

Aside from a single leaking t-seal, I had no other engine problems before that day. After a partial rebuild, I made it from Edmonton on two trips to Wainwright, then eventually a voyage from Edmonton to Quesnel and Barkerville BC, with no problems until my return from Barkerville BC to Drayton.

I had plenty of problems after.

I had swore by Husky Diesel Max due to the higher centane levels and the rumor of biodiesel.

I suspect the fuel may have reacted badly to the seals in my aged unknown-history injection pump.

It seems the high RPM's killed my year-old mechanical lift pump that day, which was replaced immediately after this.

Probably worthwhile swapping my injection pump on that bad engine first now, as I have several spares.

Adam.

According to my info all or most .. lol mod 2.5NA engines have the CVV sump to oil separator modification. That would prevent runaway diesel. Apparently thats why they installed them on mod vehs.. :o