Deffender Fuel pump on 200 TDI

Started by B-Red, May 15, 2015, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I ran Tigger up to Jasper doing 100Km/hr. By time it went into Hinton, the fuel pump was stuck and the pedal had no effect. Engine was reving high. I snapped the dummy cruse control nob and the engine revs came down. It worked well into jasper as long I kept it under 80. I checked the aircraft cable springs and movement and it was fine.

I used Husky Max Diesel in Hinton.

It got stuck again today at 80km/hr going down hill.

Looking for ideas.

Thanks

headdamage

Have you made sure the cable and linkages are moving freely at both ends?

Red90

Most likely the cable or pedal is sticking.

B-Red

I will check them again. The problem shows once I run it over 70/80. Low speeds don't trigger it. Will check it on the way back home to see if it comes up again.

Red90

If you really think it is the pump run a heavy does of fuel conditioner through. Power service grey bottle.  Run a dose of four time suggested.

B-Red

I will try the conditioner. Thanks John.

I had a similar problem before on my gas disco. The carb was freezing up and thus won't release the fuel cable. It was related to the vaccum in the system.

Trevor

This one sounds silly, but its worth checking. Make sure your pedal isn't catching on the floor mat. I had that happening with mine. LR make very precise components, so floor mat slots being out by an inch or two falls well within their acceptable tolerance levels. More than enough to snag the linkage if the mat shifts. :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Trevor on May 15, 2015, 07:44 PM
This one sounds silly, but its worth checking. Make sure your pedal isn't catching on the floor mat. I had that happening with mine. LR make very precise components, so floor mat slots being out by an inch or two falls well within their acceptable tolerance levels. More than enough to snag the linkage if the mat shifts. :)

That's the first thing I'd check...but after that dollars to donuts you have something sticking on your linkage.
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I checked the linkage cables and the pedal positions. All is clear there. That's why I was wondering about the internal parts of the pump. I will try the conditioner flush and see if it makes a difference. The drive back should flush it well.

B-Red

The vehicle is traveling well so far to Edson. I applied the conditioner in Hinton with a fill up. The oil in the engine checked at low in the morning. Topped it with about 1.5 liters. Fuel pump is behaving so far.
Q: how does the fuel pump internals get lubricated? I don't have the schematics with me. Was wondering if an internal item is getting stuck.

Red90

It is all lubricated by the fuel.

B-Red

Ok. It worked fine all the way back. The conditioner must have helped.

ugly_90

Emad,

I had exactly the same thing happen leaving Drayton Valley minutes after filling with Husky Diesel Max in July of 2013.

High rev's, my 2.5NA was running like a turbodiesel. 120km/h without momentum up a slight hill in fifth was no problem. " MAN, this IS a good fuel "

At one point, going downhill, my overspeed chime went off, and I slowed it down onto HWY 16. Not quite reaching the Onoway exit, I stopped at a service station for some water.

The throttle always worked as I wanted.

I filled the oil a little, as the t-seal was leaking, checked the dipstick, started the engine, and wow! high RPM's!

I was frightened, as I was sure I was in runaway with an overfilled sump. I turned off the engine. then I realized I wasn't in runaway diesel, as it was easily turned off via fuel cutoff, and I didn't have a turbodiesel either.

At that point, I had it towed over to Malcom, late at night. We discussed it, and it was likely I had filled with gasoline. This was impossible, I thought, as I had filled at a diesel only pump, and as always, inspected the receipt after I paid to ensure diesel.

We took a sample of the fuel and tried a gasoline test. A sample wouldn't burn with a match in it, and didn't smell like gasoline either.  It was also dyed green, as commercial diesel is.

Aside from a single leaking t-seal, I had no other engine problems before that day. After a partial rebuild, I made it from Edmonton on two trips to Wainwright, then eventually a voyage from Edmonton to Quesnel and Barkerville BC, with no problems until my return from Barkerville BC to Drayton.

I had plenty of problems after.

I had swore by Husky Diesel Max due to the higher centane levels and the rumor of biodiesel.

I suspect the fuel may have reacted badly to the seals in my aged unknown-history injection pump.

It seems the high RPM's killed my year-old mechanical lift pump that day, which was replaced immediately after this.

Probably worthwhile swapping my injection pump on that bad engine first now, as I have several spares.

Adam.

B-Red

Bill came over and helped checking the system. The linkage cable was getting stuck. So a lubrication job should fix that. The Throttle cable attachment may also be a cause. Have to test that afterwards.
As for diesel, we need the old type with Sulphur or use the conditioners. Otherwise, too dry on the pump.
I will be giving it another run next weekend. Will see how she goes.

Red90

Quote from: B-Red on May 26, 2015, 08:52 AM
As for diesel, we need the old type with Sulphur or use the conditioners. Otherwise, too dry on the pump.
I will be giving it another run next weekend. Will see how she goes.

A conditioner is a good idea for other reasons, but it is not true that the lubricity of the ULSD is too low.  Canada has quite strict fuel regulations and the lubricity requirements are adequate.  Lubricity additive are put in the fuel at the distribution stations.  If you are travelling in the US, I would be more careful as the requirement are not as high and it is not well regulated.

I would just get a new throttle cable.  They are cheap and simple to change.