Land Rover Trophy

Started by Trevor, February 11, 2021, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I just got word of this through the Camel Trophy Club. Thought some might find it interesting...

https://www.landrover.com/explore-land-rover/land-rover-classic/defender-works-v8-trophy.html
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

Looks like LR is desperate to maintain some of it's claim on the historic Land Rover/Defender.

BurbleBeast

Would love to own one of those!
Wouldn't be surprised if all 25 have already been sold for a pretty penny...

Red90

They are $340000. It is more stupidity.

headdamage

Quote from: Red90 on February 11, 2021, 05:53 PM
They are $340000. It is more stupidity.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

binch

D90 models "STARTING" at 195,000 quid!!!!!     But you know they will sell and their prices will only go up over the years.

The V8 will put out LOADS of power but how many Gerry cans will you need for the AMT  LOL ;D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on February 11, 2021, 11:08 PMand their prices will only go up over the years.

I doubt it. There is a limit and they have found it.

Actually I will not be surprised when the prices of the average Defender collapses one of these days.

Trevor

This will likely have a positive effect on actual CT vehicle prices, pulling them higher. They are very different vehicles of course, but thematically these new vehicles obviously point back to the original CT's for their foundation.

That will increase near-term demand for CT's imo.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

This sort of stupidity makes me question the point of owning a Land Rover. When I got into Rovers they where quirky cheap fun to work and play with toys that no one else wanted. Now they are trendy expensive status symbols which clash with my persona on in some visceral way. Clearly I am not wealthy, trendy, nor do I have any social status beyond that of the common plebe... in short I am no longer in the demographic that is expected by JLR and as such I am no longer welcomed by them.

Should I sell off my Rovers while they are worth something and help protect the new order that Land Rover so covets by removing my shameful shadow from the shining light of the new Rover age? Bugger, I shall hang on to my shabby old Rovers and allow my fundamental unworthiness to be a blight upon the nouveau Best 4x4xfar and their marketing efforts! It is now my mission, as a long term traditional Land Rover owner, to drag down and devalue the brand until once again Rovers are quirky, fun, and CHEAP! Stick that up your corporate branding orifice JLR ;)

Matt H

Not sure what makes it worth that sort of money but I suppose if you can afford one value and worth becomes very subjective.

That's a lot of money to the likes of me because I would need to do an awful lot of actual work to earn it. Thus it is not worth it and extremely poor value.

The folks that can afford these prices would likely need to do very little if any actual work and therefore it's worth and value are calculated much differently.

However there are still what I would call cheap Land Rovers to be had. Disco 1's and 2's. Later Series trucks & P38 Range Rovers all offer great value and practically in real terms.
While not super cheap, early LR3's and L322 Rangies are becoming more affordable as well.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: headdamage on February 12, 2021, 11:03 AM
.........It is now my mission, as a long term traditional Land Rover owner, to drag down and devalue the brand until once again Rovers are quirky, fun, and CHEAP! Stick that up your corporate branding orifice JLR ;)

LOL....I don't think they'll need your help as long as they have the new defender.   JLR have that covered all by themselves  ;D
Cheers, Bill

binch

Quote from: Matt H on February 12, 2021, 01:36 PM
Not sure what makes it worth that sort of money but I suppose if you can afford one value and worth becomes very subjective.

ahhhh but they have a cunning plan!   It worked once with those six Jaguar lightweight chassis they had.   Hand built with todays materials and fetching a mere million quid per car.   It worked once...bet it will work again.   Especially with this lower price tag and all the spare parts kicking 'round.   Just think what they'll be able to get with the "new build" old 110's and RRC's    ;-)

Don't take all the fish at once.   Leave a few in the pond and there will always be more to bite ;)
Cheers, Bill